Tips for Performing a Manual Freshwater Flush:
Below are two workaround methods for performing a freshwater flush when operating a system in manual. The first method is intended for a one-off or infrequent manual flush. The second method is desirable when manual flushing will need to happen repeatedly over a longer period of time.
Method One ('short term' manual flushing):
- Close seacock.
- Fill a bucket with freshwater and connect service hose at the “to strainer” pigtail on the feed pump module (same way you would for pickling or cleaning as per the manual).
- On a Ventura system, connect to service port on the feed pump module
- Remove 20 Micron Cartridge from filter housing, set aside
- Move 5 Micron Cartridge to filter housing you just removed the 20 micron from
- Move the Charcoal Filter from your Freshwater Flush module to the now vacant 5 Micron filter housing
- Run the system (preferably on service speed, if Catalina/Newport) pulling from your bucket of freshwater and allow the now dechlorinated freshwater to flush the system
- Repeat as needed to ensure brine discharge is below 1000ppm
If you have a source of already dechlorinated freshwater, you can skip steps 2-4. Note - chlorine contamination can ruin a membrane.
Method Two ('long term' manual flushing):
- Close seacock
- Close blue handle, stopping freshwater flow
- On Ventura models, blue handle is not present. Turn off freshwater supply at source.
- Remove plunger from solenoid housing, per photos below (open pressure relief valve on Clark Pump ½ turn or so, so that system is relieved of pressure prior to taking off solenoid)
- On Ventura models, solenoid is on feed pump module near outlet of clear housing
- Reinstall solenoid onto manifold without plunger in housing.
- Open blue handle, allowing freshwater to flush the system
- On Ventura models, turn on freshwater supply at source
- Close blue handle at end of flush to stop flow once again
- On Ventura models, turn off freshwater supply at source
- Flush system with freshwater until brine discharge is below 1000ppm
Newport Freshwater Flush Solenoid Disassembly/Plunger Removal: